Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sunday Gravy


All good recipes in my world start with a few cloves of garlic.  What would we do without this amazing little punch of life.


Sunday Gravy w/out bolognese

We'll start without the yummy delicious beef for now.  I make two different Sunday Gravies depending on what I'm going to couple it with.  The winter months I usually go for the spicy version even if I'm not going to add meat because it warms you from the inside out... yummm...

Whoops. Ok. Start with EVOO and your few cloves of minced garlic.


Cook until Fragrant add two cans of 28 oz tomatoes.  I do one can crushed and one can whole.  Its just more fun that way. Also it adds a little extra texture.  Pictured here is just one can crushed because I was making this gravy for my chicken parm


Add your wine directly into you can. No need is wasting all those extra tomato bits. They gave their lives for your Sunday Gravy!!


Simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and seasoning with S&P to taste. Add basil at the end and serve it up!!


Sunday Gravy w/ Bolognese

Start by browning up your meat. I usually do 1 lb of ground beef and add a little Italian sausage if I'm trying to impress Hoag. Once most of the pink is gone, add your garlic, red pepper flakes and season it with S&P


Add 1 can crushed tomatoes and the juice of your whole tomatoes.  This is where it gets fun. This a GREAT job for kids or your husband if he acts like a kid, or yourself if you like to pretend you have the responsibilities of a kid... good clean ( messy) fun. 

Take the tomatoes, one by one, and squish them in your hand. You want them to break up but still maintain their great texture.  If you're not into getting dirty, (lame) you can poor the tomatoes in your pan and squish them with a potato masher. Sprinkle the top with sugar to cut down the acidity of the tomatoes.


Add your red wine directly into can.  I don't need to remind you why, I hope.


Simmer and serve! In the summer months I make it all from scratch... which I hope to have the patience to show you how on here. But, no matter what, I always have a few cans of tomatoes in the pantry. Less sugar, less additives, way more delicious.  Bon Appetite!

1 comment:

  1. Now, dont hate me. But this isn't the ORIGINAL Sunday gravy recipe. Some things have to be kept in the family. Just ask Brittanie!! :)

    ReplyDelete